I wish that years ago I would have known how easy it was to get an "A" in a class. It is work, but not as much work as I thought it would be! I guess back then I figured that it would take a lot out of me, so I didn't bother! I was too busy having fun! Although I wouldn't take back any of my fun memories either! ;-)
When I was working with some Kindergartners on Monday this week, I said, "I've heard you have been learning about the letter B this week! Do you think you could write a letter B for me? Maybe a big B and a little B?" - they had both been writing pretty well before that, so I felt like I wasn't asking them to write something that they wouldn't be able to. As I looked at the one girl's paper, she had drawn a picture of a large bumblebee! She said, here is my big bee, should I also draw a little bee? It was soooooo sweet and cute! I was trying not to giggle! Talk about lost in translation!
I must admit I've had a few moments in my classes of "come on, young people!" Which is really funny! These kids are all young and hip, and I felt like I knew more about technology than most of them! On Monday night we met at a local 4th grade class that is total totally around technology. It is like the classroom of the future. Every student has a computer at their desk and they do pretty much all of their work with it. They do tons of global networking projects. They also have a "whiteboard" in the class, which is just the coolest thing. As the teacher was explaining how he uses all of the technology and how in the future teachers may even use cell phones and ipods in their instructions, I was sitting there thinking, how cool! All of the young people around me were looking totally shocked! There was one girl who raised her hand and said, "I'm a music education major and I don't think you can use any technology with music." I wanted to pick up a book and hit her over the head! I hope she never teaches my kids! Hello!!! Keyboards, microphones, recording equipment, electric guitar.... Music. Anyway, I just held my tongue and the teacher did answer with, "I think you need to do more research into your field." I was also only one of two students out of 35 that has a blog! Although I must say that I'm ashamed at how seldom I've been writing in it recently. Believe me - I have had no lack of writing. I'm writing papers constantly!!! I just finished an article review. That was a bit boring.
I do feel as I've been going through my classes that I'm definitely doing the right thing. My only regret is that it's been so long since I've taken other classes in my major that I feel like I'm missing some vital information, and some of my info from before is so out-of-date. I guess I'll know more when I do my student teaching if I'll really be prepared or not. I love teaching. I love creativity and fun and learning and making learning fun! That's the way it should be! YAY!
I'm pretty tired right now. Theo has Grandparent's day tomorrow at school which my dad is taking him to. He was so excited that it took him at least an hour to fall asleep. Josie also did not fall asleep very easily tonight. Silly goose.
I'll leave you tonight with a Josie "original' -
Jesus died on the cross, E-I-E-I-O. With a moo moo here and a moo moo there,
And Jesus was his name-O.
Thursday, October 9, 2008
Confessions of an Adult College Student
Posted by Cathy Cooke at 10:46 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
That is remarkable! I love your stories. Keep 'em coming!
Love you gal.
Josie is a funny funny girl
Post a Comment